Mangawhai Museum offers a fun, interactive and informative experience packed with stories and personalities, to cater for school groups of all ages.
We've created a series of educational activities aligned with the NZ school curriculum and offer worksheets to guide your visit, so teachers simply need to plan the trip and we'll take care of the rest.
Each of our museum displays can be linked to the curriculum in one way or another to promote an effective education experience.
- What's in a name
- Early Maori battles
- Local geology
- The early years - shipping, logging, gum and the wharf
- Aviation and personalities
- Social history
- War comes very, very close to Mangawhai (it's not well known that a German warship in disguise laid mines just off the coast of Mangawhai, which claimed one of the largest ocean liners of the day)
- Gold fever
- Holidays in Mangawhai
- Big Dig cinema and saving the Mangawhai Harbour
- Natural history
School trip planner
Load up the bus and head to Mangawhai. Drive time from Auckland's harbour bridge or from Whangarei: 60 minutes
Arrive at Mangawhai Museum, collect your activity sheets and head inside. Recommended visit duration 1 - 1.5 hours.
Head 5 minutes north on Molesworth Drive to see the Mangawhai Harbour, the sand dunes and the breakwater that feature throughout the museum.
There are several excellent vantage points to see the harbour from. Turning right off Molesworth Drive:
- North Avenue will take you down to the harbour's edge, with the sand dunes right in front of you.
- Mangawhai Heads Road and then Wintle Street will take you to Mangawhai Heads Beach, with an elevated view down to the harbour and access to the beach via a stair case.
Head down to the beach and see Head Rock, the breakwater and the Mangawhai Bar up close. To really burn off some energy and for the best views, take the Mangawhai cliff walk track from here.
This starts with a walk along the beach and then a climb and offers several options, so you can opt for the distance that suits.
Also in the area - Mangawhai Activity Zone